Topic Options
#69342 - 06/27/17 01:08 AM Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs
SJ Offline

Loc: India
Hi Rich / Dave,

Can you give the below idea a thought as a part of CII development and improvement:

- Can checking the springs top out and bottom out become a part of software for the load cases selected by the user?
- Can spring with friction modelling become an automated optional part (like from restraint drop down wherein Spring with friction appears along with normal spr) and the user has the freedom to input only friction factor as per requirement?
-Can spring angulation check (4 deg normally) for hanger type springs be automated?
-Can G-type spring be made one of the default option ?

I believe these ideas will be of great interest and will definitely help the users productivity and accuracy!!

SJ

#69390 - 06/29/17 10:09 PM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
SJ Offline

Rich/Dave,

Your feedback on this, please!

SJ

#69394 - 06/30/17 06:48 PM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
All ideas are discussed and possibly added to the backlog.

Can checking the springs top out and bottom out become a part of software for the load cases selected by the user?
I'm not sure we can do this, because in general, we don't know where the spring starts. This will need more research.

Can spring with friction modelling become an automated optional part (like from restraint drop down wherein Spring with friction appears along with normal spr) and the user has the freedom to input only friction factor as per requirement?
This is a good idea, and others have made the same request. This item is already in the backlog. Now it is just a question of priorities.

Can spring angulation check (4 deg normally) for hanger type springs be automated?
I really don't think this is possible, without asking from you the length of the rod (above the hanger to the support point). Without this information (which most of the time you won't know) we can't determine the angle.

Can G-type spring be made one of the default option ?
A spring hanger is just a point with a stiffness and a preload. The details of the hardware and mechanism typically don't matter until you purchase a particular spring from a particular vendor. However, you can specify the number of springs desired at a location - in this case specify 2.

#69400 - 07/03/17 02:36 AM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
SJ Offline

Rich,

Thanks for responding in details.

May be I could clarify my ideas more.

Can checking the springs top out and bottom out become a part of software for the load cases selected by the user?
I'm not sure we can do this, because in general, we don't know where the spring starts. This will need more research.
-Since CII already has catalogue built in, I believe the start and last load as well as vertical displacement values must be known in background. I also thought about this before writing query and this gave me hope. In fact, if you look at CII hanger report, it gives the min and max allowed spring load which in fact are limits for top-out and bottom out.(refer attached snap).

Can spring with friction modelling become an automated optional part (like from restraint drop down wherein Spring with friction appears along with normal spr) and the user has the freedom to input only friction factor as per requirement?
This is a good idea, and others have made the same request. This item is already in the backlog. Now it is just a question of priorities.
-Thanks

Can spring angulation check (4 deg normally) for hanger type springs be automated?
I really don't think this is possible, without asking from you the length of the rod (above the hanger to the support point). Without this information (which most of the time you won't know) we can't determine the angle.
-For hanger, we always input hanger height. Based on it and the horizontal travel, angle can be easily calculated in results.

Can G-type spring be made one of the default option ?
Can you explain what this would provide to you. A spring hanger is just a point with a stiffness and a preload. The details of the hardware and mechanism typically don't matter until you purchase a particular spring from a particular vendor.
-As you are aware, we need to have G-type arrangement modelled separately for such springs.In case, you can provide ready made template, this will ease out our work.

Edited by SJ (07/03/17 02:48 AM)

SJ

#69401 - 07/03/17 06:54 AM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Yes, the min/max loads can be checked.

The "height" value is used by the software to insure that the selected (designed) spring can fit in the available space. If the spring height exceeds this, then the software tries multiple smaller springs.

#69408 - 07/04/17 02:00 AM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
SJ Offline

The same height can be made the basis for calculation of angulation for horizontal displacement.

SJ

#69558 - 07/23/17 09:58 PM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: SJ]
Benoy_Abraham Offline

Loc: Delhi,India
Dear Mr. Richard,

One of my colleagues had raised a query to Caesar II support team regarding updation of Hanger Table for Constant spring hanger when quantity of springs at support location is more than 1.

Query raised: Irrespective of the number of Constant support spring hanger defined in Caesaer II input, the Hanger table for Constant springs shows the quantity displayed as 1 corresponding to total load at support location even when Qty of Constant spring hanger defined in input is more than 1.

In vertical lines, 2 to 4 spring hangers may be provided at a given support location and even in horizontal lines there are locations where 2 springs are used where adequate length of supporting hanger rod may not exist.We feel it would be better to update the Hanger Table output of Caesar II for Constant spring hangers consistent with the number of hangers at the support location defined in Caesar II input similar to Variable spring hangers.

Normally, as a good practise we generally predefine spring hangers in Caesar II to analyze the impact on system due to load re-distributions during initial stage using a standard catalogue and check during post-order stage based on ordered spring data. However, in cases where such hangers are not predefined it would be better to maintain data consistency between Caesar II input and output i.e. both show the same quantity to avoid any confusions.

Regards
Benoy Abraham

#69559 - 07/23/17 10:18 PM Re: Suggestion for CII improvement w.r.t springs [Re: Benoy_Abraham]
SND Offline

Loc: SINGAPORE
Dear Friends,

The requested from friend SJ and Benoy are good.
Yes it will help to stress analyst,

But, in my opinion if we ask CII to add all such kind of features what Stress Engineer will do ????

Intelligence add in software is quite easy but it may create our brain to dumb.

Refer Spring Catalogue, 3d Model, required spring height, Cold load and hot load, displacements, angle calculations scope of stress analyst.
Now days CII have many features than Ver 4.0.

If CII will do everything and just submit the CII output report to client, this work can do by Clerk also.

Think as mechanical engineer and design springs as per requirements of system.

Regards
Dave

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics