Topic Options
#4283 - 12/04/05 09:25 PM About structure load
Twing Offline

Loc: China
As you know,we'll provide pipe's structure loads to civil department according to result calculated by CEASAR2.According to Chinese power rules,there should be a coefficient for sustend load,the coefficient should be 1.4.So the pipe's structure loads=1.4*SUS(load)+other static load(such as water load,expansion load .etc).When we use CEASAR2 to do dynamic analysis,there should be a dynamic load(such as water hammer .etc).So the pipe's structure loads should be equal to 1.4*SUS(load)+other static load+dynamic load,or compare 1.4*SUS(load)+other static load with SUS(load)+other static load+dynamic load,and select the max value as structure load.Would you please tell me how can you consider this?
Thanks for your attention!

#4284 - 12/04/05 09:54 PM Re: About structure load
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
huh * 1.4 ?????

John C. Luf

#4285 - 12/05/05 10:14 AM Re: About structure load
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Many building codes (such as ASCE #7 in the U.S.) factor loads in various load cases for "Strength Design". Please note the following:

1) CAESAR II is operating under the assumption of "Allowable Stress Design".

2) CAESAR II is evaluating the stresses in the pipe, and determining equipment and support loads, using load cases required for "Piping Code" compliance.

3) CAESAR II will not by default apply load coefficients for building codes.

You can incoporate load coefficients in the CAESAR II load cases if you desire. For example, instead of this:

"W + P1 (SUS)"

You could manually adjust the load case to this:

"1.4W + P1 (SUS)"

However, this would increase the weight component for the pipe stress evaluation, which you wouldn't really want to do.

If you're passing loads from CAESAR II to your structural department for subsequent analysis, they should be making the decision as to what load factors need to be applied and when. You could send the CAESAR II static output to an (ODBC) MS Access file and they can access the data directly and do whatever they deem necessary.

#66646 - 06/22/16 05:20 AM Re: About structure load [Re: Twing]
davidmunoz Offline

Loc: España
Good Morning Richard,

How i could send the Caesar II static output to an ODBC(ms Access file)?

With the eartquake for us is important when we use ASCEII( civil apply other different Rp depending of type of structure and update the z/h, so civil should can change the load they apply)

#66669 - 06/24/16 08:57 PM Re: About structure load [Re: Twing]
Richard Ay Offline

From the "Ribbon", select "Interfaces". The 3rd button/option from the left is what you're after.

#66906 - 07/27/16 06:27 AM Re: About structure load [Re: Twing]
davidmunoz Offline

Loc: España
Richard,
When you say:"If you're passing loads from CAESAR II to your structural department for subsequent analysis, they should be making the decision as to what load factors need to be applied and when. You could send the CAESAR II static output to an (ODBC) MS Access file and they can access the data directly and do whatever they deem necessary".

I don´t understand how to proceed
If my load case is: “W+D1+T1+P1+H+U1”
Where:
U1 (other example)--> i = 1; R= 12;Ss=1.5; Site Class: C Component elevation ratio z/h=1 ; AP=2.5 U=0.21G´s

And civil department wants:
A dead load = W+P1+H
A live load = T1
A seismic load U1 (ASCE7-05)(for example )--> i = 1; R= 4;Ss=1.5; Site Class: C Component elevation ratio z/h=0.7 ; AP=2.5 Uh=0.42G´s

With the “mdb data” , civil cannot change my combination load or right?, If I can not, in the end I have to create a spreadsheet file Caesar with “civil load Case”, but I can not get loads sequentially, I must use algebraic sustraction to obtain the civil simple case.

So civil cannot do nothing with my initial "ODBC". Or I´m wrong?

Edited by davidmunoz (07/27/16 06:33 AM)

#66912 - 07/27/16 09:44 PM Re: About structure load [Re: Twing]
Richard Ay Offline

You are correct, the loads in the CAESAR II output are the result of [K]{x}={f}, and once determined, you cannot dissect those loads into portions due to the individual load primitives that made up the load case.

You can setup load cases as your Civil Department wants, just don't use those load cases for (piping) Code compliance. Also be careful setting up the load cases if your model includes non-linear boundary conditions. In those systems, you shouldn't run a "U1" case - because "U1" will never act in isolation and the boundary condition status will not match the true state of the system when the uniform load event occurs. So yes, you will need to use algebraic subtraction to obtain the loading effects of the uniform load event.

#66935 - 07/29/16 06:06 AM Re: About structure load [Re: Twing]
mvs123 Offline

Loc: India
Richard,
Not getting the last line "need to use algebraic subtraction to obtain the loading effects of the uniform load event ".Will you please elaborate?

Rg,
MVS

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics