Topic Options
#63870 - 08/07/15 09:30 AM Determining Max Loads for Skid Exterior Nozzle
LeviM Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.A
Hello all,

I’m working on the skid models and was wondering if any of y’all know a way to determine the maximum loads for the nozzles (inlets and outlets) of the skid?

I was thinking that, if I place anchors on the Nozzles, and any over stress issues can be resolved, then the reactions at those anchors can be the maximum, or at least advised, loads for those nozzles. The only issue I see with this approach is that there is no way to determine if the nozzles could accommodate a larger load.

The other approach I can think of is to set my own maximum load, apply that load to the nozzles and attempt to resolve any overstress that occurs.

Thank you for your time,
-Levi

#63872 - 08/07/15 12:19 PM Re: Determining Max Loads for Skid Exterior Nozzle [Re: LeviM]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
It sounds like your skid connections (nozzles)are not fixed to the skid.
Modeling anchors there to check pipe stress and reveal nozzle loads - as you suggest - will work only if the connecting pipe matches those loads exactly. (By balancing loads on both sides of the nozzle, your anchor can be removed and nothing happens.) Other piping loads will not balance and your anchor assumption will no longer be valid.
I believe a more reliable design will be to fix those nozzles - not at the nozzle but somewhere along the pipe between the nozzles and the skid internals. These anchors will isolate your piping from those external attachment loads. Design your skid piping for those anchors and then the external piping will load up the anchor. The limits to the external loads, then, will be based on that flexible length between the nozzle and anchor and your anchor limit.
The problem with fixing a set of allowed loads for the attached piping is that you have no way of considering the stiffness of the attached piping. It all works together. And with two or more nozzles (without intermediate anchors), you'll have to consider signs on those loads.

#63873 - 08/07/15 12:35 PM Re: Determining Max Loads for Skid Exterior Nozzle [Re: LeviM]
LeviM Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.A
Some of the nozzles are U-bolted to the skid, I think the others are on shoes and I'm not sure if they are fixed.

I'd like to be able to come up with allowable loads on the nozzles; like the ones you have for pumps and vessels.

If anchoring the nozzles close to the skid limits (I believe that is what you are suggesting) is not a option, is there an good way to come up with these loads?

Thanks!

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics