Topic Options
#30704 - 10/16/09 05:19 AM Pipe support from vibrating structures
ASA Offline

Loc: .
Greetings,

This is with reference to steam turbine extraction pipe supporting.

Is it appropriate to take support for steam turbine extraction piping (connected with turbine) from the vibrating turbine foundation?
If yes, then kindly highlight some additional precautions/aspects that must be taken care of in the piping analysis/ support engineering.

Is there someone who has prior experience with supporting piping from vibrating structures and is willing to share some information/resources on the same?

Regards,
ASA

#30710 - 10/16/09 09:39 AM Re: Pipe support from vibrating structures [Re: ASA]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Although it is undoubtedly true that the turbine foundation vibrates, it would seem that the amplitude was small enough that you could safely ignore it. You must, of course, make sure your piping is not excited by the foundation frequencies as resonance would be disastrous.

Also, please explain to me how the turbine foundation can vibrate without allowing the turbine to also vibrate. And, while you're at it, explain why you are going to consider the vibration of the foundation that you are using for pipe supports but not considering the vibration of the extraction nozzle connection on the turbine which attaches directly to the piping.

I can't imagine supporting a piping system from any structure that I expected to vibrate with any significant amplitude.

#30768 - 10/20/09 01:30 AM Re: Pipe support from vibrating structures [Re: CraigB]
ASA Offline

Sorry for the delayed reply Mr. CraigB.

I agree that the turbine would certainly vibrate with the foundation.

The reason I was giving larger attention to the vibrations from foundation rather than that from the nozzle is that the nozzle connection to piping is anyways unavoidable and the support nearby is a spring.

But the support envisaged from foundation is a rigid one and should be averted if found dangerous.

I will pay attention to the resonance. Thanks for your kind advice.

Regards,
ASA

#30769 - 10/20/09 01:31 AM Re: Pipe support from vibrating structures [Re: CraigB]
ASA Offline

Sorry for the delayed reply Mr. CraigB.

I agree that the turbine would certainly vibrate with the foundation.

The reason I was giving larger attention to the vibrations from foundation rather than that from the nozzle is that the nozzle connection to piping is anyways unavoidable and the support nearby is a spring.

But the support envisaged from foundation is a rigid one and should be averted if found dangerous.

I will pay attention to the resonance. Thanks for your kind advice.

Regards,
ASA

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics