Topic Options
#23604 - 01/07/09 03:18 PM design verification by third party
Itchy Offline

Loc: n/a
I could put this thread under the coade general area perhaps but thought more people might read it here and it is a piping design related question so thought I would ask it here.

Purely from a personal interest point of view I was wondering what other countries require regarding checking/verification of pressure piping (and pressure vessel) design.

I am based in New Zealand and most pressure systems that are to be installed in NZ need to have the design calculations submitted for external verification. I say "most" as we have pressure equipment regulations that dictate what needs to be submitted for verification and what doesn't.

My understanding is that in the states this role is carried out by a PE engineer stamping the drawings. In New Zealand we have chartered engineers (sim to PE in USA) but we are not allowed to stamp the drawings for pressure systems, they have to be submitted to an authorised expernal verifier, and being a small country there are only a handful of people who are qualified as design verifiers.

When submitted to the verifiers the calculations and drawings are checked, and once the verifier is happy with the design a design certificate and set of official stamped drawings is issued. If you want to make changes to an existing system, again you have to submit calcs and drawings for design verification.

It is an interesting and I believe very good (though sometimes frustrating)system. My understanding is that if there was a failure, the design is ultimately the responsibility of the design engineer (luckily never been here to have to find out).

Since we have people from so many countries in this forum I thought it would be a good place to find out what is required in other countries.

#23645 - 01/08/09 01:35 PM Re: design verification by third party [Re: Itchy]
Jouko Offline

In South Africa many designs, manufacturing and similad had to be verified by independent organization. Practically always the verification is only review and the responsibility remains by the designer. Often companies like TUV, BV etc are specified.

I am now in Finland on AREVA nuclear station and in this case there is governement organization checking the design.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics