Topic Options
#21503 - 10/13/08 04:21 PM How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline?
designing pipes Offline

Loc: Spain
Hellow

I have only one year of experience in stress analysis and in Caesar II, and I have many doubts, I hope that my questions arenīt too stupid, please sorry......I`ll try to explain it

I have been trying to insert a reinforced pad in a tee where three pipes are conected, and I donīt Know How do I make?, please help me....

Other problem with Caesar II: well I have been trying to insert a metallic expansion joint, but the data requested by Caesar II isnīt supplied by all the vendors, and I have some stifness like Axial Stifness, Trans Stifness and Torsion Stifness, but I need torsion stifness and Effective ID, please what is the effective ID? and Which data do I need for metallic expansion joints?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards.
Nala.

#21504 - 10/13/08 05:06 PM Re: How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline? [Re: designing pipes]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Hi nala,

Have you tried to look at Caesar manual?

Regards!

#21506 - 10/13/08 07:33 PM Re: How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline? [Re: bom]
shr Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi Nala
You don’t have to model a reinforced pad in caesar. You just have to take proper SIF for that. Click sif/tee at that node. From drop menu of dialogue box select type “ reinforced” & put the value of pad thickness.
Effective ID of expansion bellow use to calculate pressure thrust for bellow. Vendor will supply that data in terms of effective ID or effective area.
In caesar any dialogue box just press F1 you will get information for that.
I suggest before using a expansion bellow please read EJMA ( Expansion joints manufacturer association ).

#21507 - 10/13/08 08:10 PM Re: How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline? [Re: shr]
machoguy Offline

Loc: Nigeria
Hi Nala,

Nala, you can model expansion joint into two ways, zero length expansion joint(for hinged and gimballed) and finite length expansion joint.

If you dont have the vendor's data as for now, you can model the expansion joint trough the expansion joint modeller, it automatically gives you the necessary data for your expansion joint.

If you try these,this is very simple method. Expansion joint modeller will ask you. pressure,style of expansion joint,number of convolutions, material of convolution, end type and temperature. Dont forget to override the temperature. After all it will gives you the data temporarily,like axial stiffness,translational stifness,torsional stiffness and effective id. You dont have to input bending stiffness if you already have translational stiffness because caesar will automatically compute the bending stiffness.

If do you have effective area, you can calculate effective id. Because sometimes vendor will give you effective area. If do you have already the results of your expansion joint, you cal also inform the vendor if you want. There's a possibility that they will design an expansion joint based on your results. These statements is according to our mentor.

Regards,
Machoguy
"Science without religion is lame,religion without science is blind"

#21511 - 10/13/08 09:35 PM Re: How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline? [Re: machoguy]
Rajinder Singh Offline

Loc: New Delhi
Dear Nala,
Kindly do the following:
1. Go through all the Caeasr manuals. You will get nearly all the answers of basic questions from there. For Expansion joints read Chapter 5 of Caesar Applications Guide.
2. Read EJMA as mentioned by shr.
3. Go through coade newsletter May 1993 and Dec 1993 for information on Expansion joints.
4. Utilize the search option on the forum. That's the most powerful tool for learners.
5. Take help from any experienced stress engineer in your company.

All the best.

Edited by Rajinder Singh (10/13/08 09:48 PM)

#21589 - 10/15/08 12:47 PM Re: How to make a reinforced pad in a pipeline? [Re: Rajinder Singh]
designing pipes Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi

Thank your very much for all your clarifications

Regards

Nala

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics