Topic Options
#5240 - 03/27/06 07:02 AM in plane & out plane moments
naveenleo Offline

Loc: india
can any body tell about
1) in-plane and out-of-plane sif & moments.
2)when we should use liberals & when it should not be.
3)how CAESAR II is calculating sL.

#5241 - 03/27/06 08:34 AM Re: in plane & out plane moments
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
These three questions pretty much encompass the entire subject of "Pipe Stress Analysis". I can't properly explain these ideas in this forum, or even via e-mail. We discuss these topics in our seminar, which lasts a week.

Isn't there anyone there in your company that can explain this to you?

#5242 - 03/27/06 10:52 PM Re: in plane & out plane moments
naveenleo Offline

Loc: india
HELLO RICHARD,
This questions are open to all the forum members.any one who is having idea about,they can share with group.i want to know when is the seminar ,cost of it & what are all the topics covered in it.

#5243 - 03/28/06 08:19 AM Re: in plane & out plane moments
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
U.S. seminars held in the COADE Houston offices are described here .

International seminars, hosted by COADE Dealers, are listed here .

You can also contact your local Dealer to see if they have any other upcoming Seminar Events not listed on our web site.

#5244 - 03/28/06 02:55 PM Re: in plane & out plane moments
Itchy Offline

Loc: n/a
Hi there

I recently went through the exercise of completing manual calcs as per B31.1 and B31.3 and then compared these results with the stress analysis packages, we use two packages, CAESAR II and another.

Build yourself a simple model in CAESAR II - my basic model was described in my previous posting and consisted of a header, and a branch with a force applied at the top of the branch. My model was simple - I had no thermal or pressure loads in my model, hence was looking at purly the calculation of Sl due to sustained loads.

If you complete a similar manual calc you will answer most of your own questions. Also look at the CAESAR II quick reference guide - in here all the code formulae are listed in one place.

Other than that I would say if you get the chance, it is well worth going on the coade training course, it really is excellant.

#5245 - 06/09/06 07:23 AM Re: in plane & out plane moments
Raju Soni Offline

Loc: New Delhi, India
hi naveen,
i can tell u regarding leberal stress and calculation of SL through CAESAR II.
actually liberal stress is used when ur expansion stresses are more than allowable expansion steress range and u dont have any other choice. most of the piping engineers avoids to use liberal stresses. actually this liberal stress is Sa= f(1.25SL+.25SH)+f(SH-SL)
for more details u can refer B31.1. actually liberal stress concept is nothing but u are utilizing ur extra stress available for sustain case (SH-SL). if u are sure that u have calculated all results ideally then u can think about liberal stress. but most of the cases somevariations are there between actual and theoritical reslts.
now i can tell you about how to CAESAR II calculates SL value. if u have seen B31.1 calculation of SL. there are two formulas of SL = pd/(4t)
0r pd/(D2-d2).
by default CAESAR II uses 2nd formula. if u compare the result between these two, 2nd formula gives u stress less than 1st one.more accurate result is to use 1st formula. if u want to do analysis through 1st one, u have to select option of this in CAESAR II.
for any other clarification u r most welcome

#5246 - 06/09/06 11:32 AM Re: in plane & out plane moments
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
Hello Naveenleo

I would add that many of these fundamental questions have been discussed in previous threads in this forum. It would be useful to learn how to used the "search" function offered by this board. As an example, look at this previous discussion regarding liberal application of allowable stresses:

http://www.coade.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000057.html

Regards, John

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics