Topic Options
#1110 - 06/27/03 07:06 AM WIND LOAD AGAIN
N.KRISHNAN Offline

Loc: KUWAIT
For the piping network system with lower height (to a maximum of 3meters) whether it is required to consider the wind load for analysis. Is there any guideline for the same? Normally we are not taking into consideration of windload for the piping stress analysis. Upto what height it need not be considered? However for the pipe support foundation design, the height above the ground level is considered for the wind load?

I will be thankful for guidelines.

#1111 - 06/27/03 07:46 AM Re: WIND LOAD AGAIN
Anindya Offline

Loc: India
Whether or not to consider wind load and if so above which height ( sometimes size -height combination) , all these informations should be available to you through your project design specification for stress analysis.

Typically my experience tells me that below 8M height wind analysis is not considered for metal Pipes.However I have done wind analysis for FRP pipes travelling on low level racks as the rack was close to sea.

So you see that there cannot be any general guideline in this matter.You have to refer to your project design guide . That should be your bible in this matter.

I personally consider that for metal pipes wind analysis does not give realistic results if differential movements between pipe and connected structures ( may be a vessel or other pipe support structure )through structural sway is not considered.

A.Bhattacharya

Stress Analyst

Bechtel Corporation

#1112 - 06/28/03 11:59 AM Re: WIND LOAD AGAIN
N.KRISHNAN Offline

Loc: KUWAIT
Quote:
Originally posted by Anindya:
Whether or not to consider wind load and if so above which height ( sometimes size -height combination) , all these informations should be available to you through your project design specification for stress analysis.

Typically my experience tells me that below 8M height wind analysis is not considered for metal Pipes.However I have done wind analysis for FRP pipes travelling on low level racks as the rack was close to sea.

So you see that there cannot be any general guideline in this matter.You have to refer to your project design guide . That should be your bible in this matter.

I personally consider that for metal pipes wind analysis does not give realistic results if differential movements between pipe and connected structures ( may be a vessel or other pipe support structure )through structural sway is not considered.

A.Bhattacharya

Stress Analyst

Bechtel Corporation

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics